Saturday, December 31, 2011

Alfred Music Review!!!


~CALLING ALL PIANISTS!~
I am in my eleventh year of playing the piano, and I love it.  Yeah, it's definitely not always easy or fun, but I'm sure glad that I've stuck with it.  Since I began in 2001, I have played music in a variety of genres:  Gospel (hymns), rag, but mostly classical.  So I was so thrilled when Alfred Music most kindly allowed for me to review Glory to the Newborn King book & CD, arranged by Marilynn Ham!
This "Alfred Sacred Performer" book of delightful Christmas piano arrangements is for advanced pianists, and features 10 different songs, such as "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "Still, Still Still," "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", "Ding Dong Merrily on High," and more.

I decided to work on "What Child is This?".  On a personal note, I love playing songs that have a big and booming sound.  "What Child is This?" has lots of octaves that really present a rich, grand sound, and makes it sound harder than is:)  The song does require quite a good deal of practice ("Repetition is the mother of learning," right?:), but is not TERRIBLY difficult.  I started working on this about a month ago, and will be playing it tomorrow night for a church Christmas program.  The week before last I played "What Child is This?" at a nursing home, too.  But these lovely and fun arrangements don't just have to be for church or nursing homes... play them just for yourself or family and friends.  Many people appreciate a pretty instrumental song and also want to see you display your talent, and Glory to the Newborn King is the ideal book to do just that! 

Having a CD to accompany the book is always a great asset in learning a song- to help it "sink into your brain." :)  And it is equally wonderful, in just listening and relaxing!  All in all, I think Marilynn Ham has done an awesome job in arranging these favorites, and I am excited to learn more!

Alfred Music has so many more Sacred Performer books plus tons of other music on their site, so I highly advise you to go check them out!

Disclaimer: I received free product for this review.  All thoughts are my own. 

1 comment:

  1. This seems very nice,indeed.

    Good luck on yor piano playing!

    ~Hannah~

    ReplyDelete